4.11.2011

: Recipe::BrownSugarIcing :

Well, I must say I'm thankful it's a new week! Last week ended up being a hum-dinger of a week. It had many high moments full of joy then moments that were equally as frustrating. At any rate we survived and are onto another new full full full week - hopefully it'll be lovely and full but with less frustrating moments!

I wanted to start off this week with a go to recipe I use in our house quite often...and it's not my recipe, it's a recipe that I grew up watching my Marm make and it's from a family friend "Auntie Carolee" -- Here's a few things I know about Auntie Carolee: she's not a blood Auntie but an Auntie by love, she always smells good - kinda like the white soft soap & vaseline hand cream and has nothing but good things to say all the time!

Okay, so now on to the recipe: BrownSugarIcing
1/2 Cup Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar
4 Tbsp Milk
2 Cups Icing Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla

Combine butter & brown sugar in microwaveable bowl for 2 minutes add milk and stir until combined. Put back in microwave for 2-3 minutes until boiling. Add in icing sugar and vanilla and whisk until well combined and all icing sugar is no longer visible


Okay, so this is how it starts, I make a box cake...the icing is good enough it doesn't need a "from scratch" cake. I get my cake mixes on sale usually around $0.80 so the whole cake is really reasonably priced.

When I asked Auntie Carolee what cake was her go-to cake to make for this she too said a box chocolate cake specifically Duncan Hines Chocolate Fudge. I make mine in a bundt cake pan as to get the most icing coverage as possible ;)
Properly prep the pan for easy removal of the cake, my favorite is Bakers Joy Spray
Here are all the ingredients ready for the icing
Butter and brown sugar ready to melt This is what the icing looks like once everything is combined...beware it's stinking hot! And this is how you ice the cake...dump it all over the top of it, easy as pie, but it's cake! Let the icing set for 30 minutes before serving {if you can wait that long!}
Then enjoy a piece of cake once the dishes are done and drying in the kitchen sink. Seriously yummo!
Thanks Auntie Carolee for the awesome family recipe and for the best go-to icing recipe I have! All my family & friends thank you too ;)

I'm off for a Sister day downtown with my sister Jenn, hope you're Monday is great! I'm excited to spend the day out & sans children {Thanks again Marm & Daddy!}


{XoXo}

3 comments:

Canadian Kristin said...

Oooh, that looks like a 'lick the drips off the serving plate when the cakes all gone' kind of icing!

Enjoy your day out!

Laura said...

Thanks for posting this... I was JUST talking to my mom about this very icing and she told me it was Carolee's! So glad I can now jot the recipe in my book!

Shawna said...

@CK: it is most definitely one of those...be careful, you may think the bowl is cleaned but look carefully, it's cleaned by tongue ;)
@Laura: You are welcome! It's one of the best Johnson Heights recipes from back in the day!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin